PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be better?
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-05, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Sifer2
Major

Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet

Originally Posted by millo View Post
Was about to cite DAoC myself. 3 factions work like a charm in a PvP centric game, 2 factions only works with heavy instancing (but that screws the whole "Massive" out of MMOFPS in my opinion). Back in WAR beta i argued for a lot of time on forums about the necessity of a third faction. They stuck to order vs destro, and anyone that played it can tell you it was always imbalanced, favoring either the good or the bad guys depending on your server pop.
Any old fart that spent some time on DAoC can confirm that having a third faction always (well, almost always) prevented someone from "winning" the game with sheer numbers. If albion grabbed 2 or more relics, hibbies and middies teamed up to prevent them from overpowering everyone with lolzerging.
Honestly, i just don't see a PvP/RvR game working without at least 3 factions. For example, the new WH40k MMO looks like it's going imperium+eldars vs chaos+orks... Can't see it working, honestly (also, it's a brutal rape of WH40k lore, but nobody seems to give a fuck about it)

What really? Eldars an Humans against Orks an Chaos? That really does make no sense. Especially since the game would play better with 4 factions that it would with 2 anyway. For the reasons you mentioned.

That's what I think the OP missed. He doesn't like how two factions can gang up on one to halt their advance. But the alternative is the advance is never stopped an the faction controls most of the world an enemy players give up an switch to the winning team. Then the game is broken.