PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Planetside Recipe (working title) (rough draft)
View Single Post
Old 2003-06-05, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MightyMule
Private

Originally posted by OneManArmy
....but to add meaning to it, a reason for me to shoot that vanu other than so I can sit in a base and repeat.....

I think you hit the reason here with why many people have grown bored of the game. For the most part games have a purpose, a climax, a goal that the player is trying to reach. Planetside has goals in many forms: Killing, EXP, base capture, ranking, etc... but what it lacks is bringing these smaller goals togther into a larger goal. Sure you could say that they are brought togther as goals under the goal "World Domination" but I don't think anybody seriously entertains the idea of one empire actually taking and holding all 10 continents + the three Sactuaries. This lack of a larger goal that one is working towards in planetside seems to me to take away an motivation. Other MMO games combat this lack of motivation through character development which the player becomes attached to to there character so sees a benefit in furthering themselves in the game. Obviously this is not true for Planetside because it runs more along the FPS tagent than the RPG tagent. Typically in a FPS there is an obvious end result that you are fighting towards...winning the game. This goal is made up of several smaller goals; capture a base, kill and enemy, stay alive, etc.. As mentioned above Planetside lacks this larger goal comprosied of smaller goals which seems to me to be a key part of any FPS. No matter what else you add to the game with respect to content, team play (on a squad, platoon, or empire basis), graphics, etc... there will still be missing that ultimate goal in which you strive to reach. Some people need this goal and others don't. I don't see how this goal could be added to planetside or this goal being added an time soon.

Thankfully I am big fan of non-linear games so I have no problems with a lack of an overall goal. Anyway just random thoughts that don't really add much to OneManArmy's post.