PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicle disabling
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-18, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Vehicle disabling

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I think that as long as a vehicle has health, it should keep going. Yet at the same time, I like some of the ideas behind disabling.

I would propose this:

All vehicles are fully functional until they reach 0% health. Once they reach zero health, they become either disabled or destroyed.

If a vehicle has 1% health and is hit by a tank round, it is ALWAYS instantly destroyed. If a vehicle loses the last of it's health to small arms fire, it will ALWAYS be merely disabled. How powerful the final blow was, how low the vehicles health when that final blow was delivered, and the base quantity of armor that the vehicle has would all determine how likely it was to just be disabled or instantly destroyed.

Disabled vehicles would then be given a secondary health bar, with burning damage slowly eating away at it until the vehicle finally blew up. Additional enemy shots could hasten it's final destruction.

The crew inside would have to get out to avoid taking burn damage, but assuming they were able to survive outside the vehicle, they could then attempt to repair the disabled vehicle.

I just don't think it's right for a vehicle to claim to have health and yet not be able to function, or for every vehicle to be disabled before being destroyed. I don't see any problem with having a system in place that allows for the potential to 'revive' a dead vehicle, provided it was merely disabled and not destroyed.
Actually, that's not a bad idea, because the disabling occurs AFTER it would have been dead in any other shooter game.

And for the immersion lovers, here's a thought. It seems like the tanks have a top mounted machine gun on them...what if a destroyed tank persisted for a few minutes where all the systems are broken and destroyed but people can jump into the top spot of the turret and use the machine gun? Those machine guns might be remote controlled, I couldn't tell.

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Lol. What did BF3s vehicle disabling even do? It never stopped moving, it never stopped shooting. But hey, free points for "disabling" vehicle despite it being fully functional.
They still move, but at about 1/5 speed.