PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - 'Skill Sets'
Thread: 'Skill Sets'
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-14, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Re: 'Skill Sets'

Yeah this pretty much would be a huge back track from the way the game has been developed so far. Just a friendly suggestion: Do some research on these topics before making assumptions and suggestions. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you answer your own questions.

As it stands so far, there is no cert cap limit and there is also only one character per account. The idea behind the certs in this game is the whole "sidegrade" thing, with a ~15-20% boost in overall power, so you're not just going around like a level 80 nerdcromancer with huge buffs and pwning everything in your way. This way the game is not limited to players having to "class" themselves -- they can do everything, it'll just take some time. And at the same time, the veterans and hardcore players of the game will not be ridiculously overpowering to the casual players; this is what I call the "5-year/5-minute" doctrine which higby explains in a lot of his interviews.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: The main problem that really killed PS1, in many people's opinions (including mine), was not that there were too many certs, but that certain things you could cert into were too powerful, namely the BFR and later on the mosquito (also the flail was pretty unpopular). It became a balancing nightmare, and the game really didn't survive. I wouldn't say that those things really KILLED the game, per se, but definitely a case of "straw that broke the camels back," so to speak.

Last edited by Saifoda; 2012-06-14 at 11:40 AM.