PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-03, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Re: The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation

Every forum I visit for an unfinished game, you have people taking what info is available, filling in the blanks, and treating it as gospel while they rant and rave about it.

Higby pretty much confirmed the plan is that the sum of the parts brings us to the 20% conclusion. That includes outfit specialization. That includes squad lead influence. That definitely includes what the player can do on their own. I know I've mentioned this somewhere, probably this very thread.

We also have no clear cut definition of how the upgrades apply. I'm having a hard time imagining something as simple as WoW's talent system where I dump 5 points into something and get 15% more damage out of it just like that. That will have to do for squad leads and maybe outfits, but for personal training, I think everything should be a physical attachment of some kind. I'll be consuming a slot on my piece of equipment, so I can't have bigger rounds in a longer barrel for both damage and accuracy. I can't have two extended mags taped together.

Remember, the idea is up to 20%, not exactly 20% no matter what you do, and through more factors than just what ever you have on hand that shoots bullets. SOE may have considered each classes possible kit as a whole, not just the individual items.

A list of ideas just thinking of the MA (note little thought was put into the numbers, they're just examples) and I'll be using Brink's customization points as a reference.

Barrel/Ammo mods (primarily effect weapon accuracy/damage/rof)
Larger Barrel: Increased damage (+1 dmg)
Enhanced Stock: Increased accuracy (+5-10%)
Dual-Barrel: Increased firing rate (+.5 rps)
High-Caliber Barrel: Increased damage (+2 dmg) Decreased RoF (-.5 rps)
Long Barrel: Increased Accuracy (+10-20%) Decreased dmg (-1 dmg)
Cyclic Tri-Barrel: Increased RoF (+1 rps) Decreased accuracy (-5-10%)

Magazine mod (primarily effect ammunitions handling)
Extended Mag: Extra rounds (+25-50%, depending on weapon?)
Taped Mag: Faster reload, every other reload (-1 second reload time)
Tap-switch: Allows for instant switch of AP and AV ammo. Lower mag capacity for each.
Drum Mag: Even more rounds (+50-100%) Slower reloads (+1-2 seconds)
Belt-feed: No reload, maximum ammo capacity reduced (25-50%) no ammo type exchange.

No classic inventory, I'm assuming then that we don't have much control over ammunition capacities if any at all. Also notice: trade-offs aren't so straight forward.

I'm sure SOE has many more ideas too.

Admittedly, I could be wrong, and most cert training really does amount to points ala talents, but the gains would be rather meager individually I imagine.

Stop filling in the blanks, you're just fooling yourselves and blowing $#!% way out of proportion. You don't know if certs act like WoW talents, or are all straight up attachments, limiting themselves anyway. The 20% encompasses outfit perks, squad lead perks, and individual training, and SOE should be balancing the individual part based on a class as a whole, not the individual items as part of that 20%.

Sorry Malorne, but part of what keeps people playing is progression. If you really think any amount of power difference will chase away newbs, then I can't even fathom how MW2 gets the numbers online it currently does and still sees newbs sticking it out through seasoned vets and their multitude of perks, huge weapon selection, and little tricks for noobtubing or knowing where that secret hidey sniping spot no one can sneak up on. Really, it's quite the mind-****