PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-24, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
. Having had exactly zero mechs in the world tested by the militaries so far, I at least can suspend disbelief enough to imagine a few reasons it could be useful, and that some of the issues are ironed out or made non issues by the technology.
not entirely true. many militaries have tried using vehicles that move by legs rather then other means. in each case the vehicles movement system was in each case, slower, more complicated more prone to failure and offered nothing as an advantage. in each case a vehicles with tires or tracks was able to transverse the terrian fast simpler and cheaper. the absolute closest we have comes was a dog looking 4 legged unmaned "drone" which would be used to carry gear or transverse mine fields. it however cost a significant amount, had an insanely co,plicated system of movement, and a single bullet could disable the whole thing

another worry is. if you blow a tanks treds out, they can still fire their gun, if a leg is taken out on a mech (or a single hydralic pump or other means of power) it could topple the mech, making it a nice large exspencive pile.