PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside2 Dog fighting Question - for Community Day people and beyond
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-24, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
TheStigma
Corporal

Re: Planetside2 Dog fighting Question - for Community Day people and beyond

I haven't gotten to pilot any of these craft myself yet (and if I had I couldn't tell you due to NDA anyway) but from what I've seen of ingame footage so far it seems like all flight-vehicles now behave fundamentally different from how they did in PS1.

Basically in PS1 there were no proper flight mechanics. All flying vehicles were more or less hovercraft. In PS2 they seem to have proper physics and behave much close to how you might expect a traditional plane to handle. That said of course they all seem to have some level of capacity for slow flight and/or hovering so its not exactly like a jet-fighter. The scythe especially seems to be able to do some seemingly physics-defying manouvers (and this is probably by design I'm guessing).

In short I expect much more "traditional" dogfighting in PS2 - ie. lots of flying around and manouvering rather than hovering relatively still and firing. Also you are likely to see strafing runs against ground-targets rather than sideways circlestrafing. I've also heard they handle more like a BF3 jet than anything that was in PS1, but I expect they will be significantly different also.

Anything more than this is hard to say at this point. Thankfully beta is supposedly on track for "next week" so we will get to test them out properly

EDIT: I think its safe to say that flying in PS2 will be significantly harder than PS1 - which is a good thing. It seperates the good pilots from the bad. The actual piloting of flying vehicles in PS1 unfortunately didn't require a whole lot of skill or practice, and left little roof for finesse apart from having good aim and a grasp of the tactical situation around you.

PS: about beta - does anyone know how strict the NDA will be for beta - if it will be active at all? Will streaming/youtubing be allowed, and will be be allowed to discuss the game in public? Seems a bit weird to me if they plan to keep a strict NDA in beta with so many people being allowed access. There would probably be too many leaks to effectively control...

-Stigma

Last edited by TheStigma; 2012-07-24 at 03:53 PM.