PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - What a travisty
Thread: What a travisty
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-02, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: What a travisty

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
I'm afraid a six year old study still isn't enough to get us back into the top 10.

My point in my comment is only converting to private schools is not the magic bullet that so many conservatives believe.

Also thanks for telling me about Google! I had no idea it existed.
I think this bit from that study is more interesting:

When interpreting the results from any of these analyses, it should be borne in mind that private schools constitute a heterogeneous category and may differ from one another as much as they differ from public schools. Public schools also constitute a heterogeneous category. Consequently, an overall comparison of the two types of schools is of modest utility. The more focused comparisons conducted as part of this study may be of greater value. However, interpretations of the results should take into account the variability due to the relatively small sizes of the samples drawn from each category of private school, as well as the possible bias introduced by the differential participation rates across private school categories

There are a number of other caveats. First, the conclusions pertain to national estimates. Results based on a survey of schools in a particular jurisdiction may differ. Second, the data are obtained from an observational study rather than a randomized experiment, so the estimated effects should not be interpreted in terms of causal relationships. In particular, private schools are “schools of choice.” Without further information, such as measures of prior achievement, there is no way to determine how patterns of self-selection may have affected the estimates presented. That is, the estimates of the average difference in school mean scores are confounded with average differences in the student populations, which are not fully captured by the selected student characteristics employed in this analysis.
This is more interesting in that study.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-02 at 02:34 PM.