PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Grief Forgiveness
Thread: Gameplay: Grief Forgiveness
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-21, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Grief Forgiveness

First let me say I like the idea of Grief in the game. It keeps players from being jerks to each other on the same team and ruining the fights. I definitely think it should be included in PS2 and in a much similar fashion. Incurring a certain amount of grief should punish you and eventually get your character locked.

However I'd like to see a system in place for forgiving grief. If there is one thing I learned it's that when you put a few hundred people in a small space and give them weapons, accidents are going to happen. I'd like to see method in game to forgive those accidents.

I think when a player incurs grief against another player, that player can go into a menu and forgive that grief against them. It wouldn't be something that pops up immediately, and the griefer would take the grief initially. But on death or whatever, the griefed player could go into a small menu, select the players name and forgive that grief if he knows it was an accident. Or he can not forgive it, it's entirely up to the griefed player.

Now to prevent that from getting annoying and you are going in to forgive 1 point of grief, only make it an option if the player incurs say, 20 points of grief or more.

So say for instance you are running across a court yard not paying attention and a Prowler runs you over coming around the corner. Clearly it wasn't intentional, but say the player gets whacked with 50 grief points or something. Wasn't trying to be a jerk, just happened, you forgive the grief and that player goes on about fighting the enemy.

I know there have been times I've been cruising along and accidentally nailed something and got a big chunk of grief, and some days are worse than others and before you know it you are facing a mountain of grief. And the players I've nailed haven't been pissed, they know it's a mistake. And I've been the guy on the other end of it too, I had a long time friend accidentally whack a couple of vehicles in crowded CY and before you know it he's catching crazy grief. I would have gladly forgiven it.

I just think it would be a good way to keep grief in the game for the players that deserve to get griefed but gives the players the ability to forgive a mistake and keep their fellow soldier from a weapons lock. Give the power to the players.