Thread: Unions
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-19, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Re: Unions

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Just so we're understanding each other here Quovatis, are you suggesting that poor people who work shit jobs deserve poverty, and that it's morally or ethically improper for them to be making money that's above their station?

If so, I'd be curious as to where you draw that feeling from, on whose authority it is to enforce that station, and what harm it does to say, you, if a teacher makes 80k a year versus 40k?
No, they don't deserve poverty. But unskilled jobs generally pay low wages because pretty much anyone can do it. That's just how things are. The exact pay is determined by the current economy, not by policy. Artificially paying a worker more than they are really worth (i.e. what high minimum wage laws do for the so-called "shit jobs") doesn't help things. By paying them more than they are worth, the company can hire fewer people, leading to even more unemployment among unskilled workers.

What harm does it do to me if a teacher makes 80k vs 40k? Well, since I, as a taxpayer, indirectly pay for this teacher, it does hurt me. By your logic, why stop at 80k...lets make every government worker a millionaire! The pay for a teacher should be whatever the market dictates. That is, get the best teacher possible for the lowest salary. If that number is 40k or 80k, I don't really care, but the reality seems to be on the lower end. But again, paying a teacher more doesn't necessarily mean you get a better education system. It's more complicated than that.

Last edited by Quovatis; 2012-04-19 at 01:30 PM.