PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - If not Artillery, Then What About Mortar Tanks?
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-01, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Re: If not Artillery, Then What About Mortar Tanks?

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
MBTS already fill this niche.

Light tanks are to be used in close quareters i.e. inside the battlements.

MBTS are tank destroyers mostly and are generally designed to engage at long to medium range.

I support some form of indirect fire support, but feel that Liberators already provide for sufficient heavy fire especially in numbers.
I see what you mean, but I don't totally agree with you. MBTs can be very effective against infantry and tanks in closer ranges, and their high firepower and health mean that they're ideal for leading a charge on the front lines. Also, they can't provide the same long-range support as a mortar tank could, as a mortar can, to some extent, get over cover and hit whatever's behind it, but a tank shell flies relatively straight.

The Liberators do provide heavy fire support, but it would be reasonable to have a ground vehicle that can do so to. Furthermore, Libs need to be directly above their target, or close enough, to do maximum damage, so they don't provide the same *indirect* fire support that mortar tanks do.

EDIT: I guess a mortar tank-style could become a cert for a MBT, but I would prefer (mostly because they would look cool) a dedicated mortar tank.

Last edited by GLaDOS; 2012-08-01 at 12:35 PM.