PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-30, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation

I don't really want this. APB had a ~20% power upgrade for vets in comparison to new players and it was totally unnecessary for few reasons:

1) Vet against vet and the netgain was 0 cos both had the same upgrades.
2) vet against noob, you had a huge benefit you didn't even need cos you will just about always beat the new guy with map knowledge (maybe not in PS2, but in APB yes) and gameplay experience

It was extremely bad design for an online shooter and I never wish to see it come back.

Given, PS is a little bit less personal game when it comes to 1v1s and the likes cos of the huge amount of players, but still.

Then again, if we take away all direct upgrades, I'm not too sure what that leaves for people who will fe. cert something very deeply. If the veteran who spent a year learning Vanguard skills still isn't any better than the new player with 2 cert points in the Vanguard, what's the point? There's a limited amount of "different stuff" you can have and do (like say, a skilled gal pilot would be able to hot drop players or spawn people in to the galaxy, while low-certed player could only pilot it to transport people)

EDIT: Reading Higby's replies (it's great that you guys actually join in on this kinda things!) makes me less worried, as it doesnt seem to go the APB way where every vet had their weapon do 15% more damage, 10% faster while taking 10% less damage themselves out of everything.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-07-30 at 05:08 AM.