PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Movement Speed Affecting Projectile Velocity
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-03, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Lightbulb Movement Speed Affecting Projectile Velocity

Greetings PSU Community,

I have been thinking about realistic bullet physics a bit, and realized that bullet velocity or damage in PlanetSide 2 may not actually be affected by movement speed. Where bullet velocity would matter is in damage inflicted, as well as affecting the dropoff point.

This is mostly in consideration of vehicles and aircraft, because +50 km/h is enough to significantly increase the velocity of a round that has been fired. It won't matter as much with infantry (except with airborne Light Assault) because they can't really move fast enough that change would really be perceptible.

How much it would add to the distance and damage is probably not an extreme amount, maybe +2.5% for 50 km/h up to +10% for 300 km/h. Where this would matter is that it gives the initiative and advantage to vehicles who are charging, especially compared to vehicles that are retreating and firing backwards (which would reduce the velocity of shots). It would also give better reach to vehicles that are moving compared to ones that are stationary.

I can see how it could work as a drawback as well, because it would force gunners to be more aware of the velocity of the vehicle itself. Though the consistent effect of this across all vehicles would essentially balance everything out.