PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicle disabling
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-18, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Vehicle disabling

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I would propose this:

All vehicles are fully functional until they reach 0% health. Once they reach zero health, they become either disabled or destroyed.

Disabled vehicles would then be given a secondary health bar, with burning damage slowly eating away at it until the vehicle finally blew up. Additional enemy shots could hasten it's final destruction.

The crew inside would have to get out to avoid taking burn damage, but assuming they were able to survive outside the vehicle, they could then attempt to repair the disabled vehicle.
What you describe could be achieved with a single health bar. Its just bigger and at a certain point the vehicle becomes disabled and starts on fire. When that happens depends on how big the 'disabled' health bar is vs the normal health bar. Just stitch them together.

You seem to dislike having a false sense of health where you see a health bar and it's not really the health you have because some of it will mean you are disabled.

That seems reasonable to me to show players exactly how much health before their vehicle will be useless rather than hiding it inside a health bar.

But on the other side of things, its also important to show hostile players exactly how much health is required to blow something up. I assume there will be an advanced targeting implant or something similar that shows health of targets. The opposite is true for blowing something up as being in i - you don't care about disable, you just want to know how close something is to being dead and having two health bars is deciving as to what it might really take to destroy the tank.