PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - My Sniper/AWP Thread =D
View Single Post
Old 2003-01-19, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
NARF
Corporal

I'm just going to ramble about the real world implications of firearms (not the mathematic or counterstrike formulas, neither one accurately models real combat conditions) and thier effects on the human body.

In the real world, a sniper shot to the head (the prefered method of hitting, not only because it provides an instand and painless death {save for the rarest circumstances} but for the bragging rights) brings an instand death. In most cases, not even a kevlar PAS-GT helmet can provide adequate protection from a 7.62mm NATO standard match grande round, it most often prevents the bullet from coming in contact with the skull, but in all likelyhood, the high power of sniper rounds will break the skull and/or cause severe brain damage. Assuming that military technology develops in the same fashion, the effect of a sniper round will be much the same. Someone came up with a round that could penetrate the helmet that someone came up with that would protect from the previous round. This continues, well, forever, and for the sake of balance, the two just happen to be matched. Some of the few things that protect from a sniper round are:

1)Bushes (only if the sniper cant see you, if he cant see you, he cant hit you)
2)a tank or APC
3)a building, and even then its not a sure thing.

So I'm saying, the ENTIRE point of a sniper is surgical fire at a distance, surgical fire entails taking out the most threatening targets with one shot, thereby disrupting the enemy's chain of command and operation, namely mortars and operators of radio equipment, of course, the role of snipers in planetside is someone different, but one shot, one kill is still the point. If a person has a helmet, they may survive, but they will be close to death, unless they are in an actual armored, thing.

U.S. Marine Corps Defenition of a scout-sniper translated into civvy-speak by yours truly, NARF.

Oh wait, did I mention a 50 cal can take out an APC, and can SOMETIMES disable a tank, depending on what parts of the tank happen to be exposed, a 50 cal can sufficiently damage the drive system of a tank if shot from 'below', so if the sniper is lower than the tank, and puts a round, essentially up its ass, the tank can be seriously slowed down or completely stopped.

Last edited by NARF; 2003-01-19 at 09:32 PM.