PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return
View Single Post
Old 2013-08-18, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Re: Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return

Originally Posted by ketarakh View Post
Though I find killcams a little bit too much for this game, I think than newbies must have some sort of info on how and from where they were shot. For example when you die and while you are falling on the ground your camera turns for 2-3 seconds in the direction where the guy that killed you was standing. Some sort of advanced "hit direction detector" UI thingy.
I'm inclined to agree with Rolfski, but the above suggestion strikes me as an excellent compromise. Freeze frame, turn the camera towards what killed you, and maybe zoom a little bit (x2? x3?). Gives you at least a chance to figure out where you were killed from.

It wouldn't give away all the detailed intel regarding AMS, etc. that some people seem to be worried about, but it would help new players get an idea where they're being camped from.

And really, this game (like PS1 before it) does have a very steep learning curve. It's a lot more complicated than most shooters, and even simple things like LA-sitting-in-a-tree seem to confuse the hell out of a lot of players.

It's easy to say that newbs should just learn to play, but the risk here is that if that learning curve is too steep, they won't ever bother and they'll just quit instead. Like it or not, we *need* new players to keep joining and enjoying this game if we want it to survive, and that means making some compromises to make it accessible.