PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
My OPINION is that it's bad. You want reasons for my opinion? Here's why.

In PS1 getting shot meant time spent doing something other than shooting. You had to actively heal yourself, or otherwise get someone else to do so. Someone on your team had to put aside their gun to do so.

Regenerating health or armor means that less time is spent worrying about health.

This lines up perfectly with instant resurrection. It's all about making the game simpler, and less about tactics and supply lines and more about gun gun gun gun.

Just because EVERYONE has the same means nothing. It's about what is taken from the game as a whole. Instant Resurrection is possible by all, but it still makes death a non issue. It's taken a vast amount of the penalty of death out of the game.

That's my problem with it.

And I hate it. The FPS's today are too interested in "EVERYONE HAS TO SHOOT ALL THE TIME MORE DAKA!! IF YOU'RE NOT SHOOTING YOU'RE WRONG!!"

Compared to BF1942, it doesn't.

The original you had to work together to keep everyone alive. And I mean ALIVE alive. If you die, you're dead and have to go back to a held flag. No magic squad spawning. No magic 'Oh, you're dead? Not anymore' shockpaddles.

You spotted an enemy? You'd need to tell others on their location and movement manually. Actually utilize teamwork. None of this easy 'push bootan', everyone and their granny knows a pin point location, and their direction (Hell, you can use the icons to shoot them without actual LOS).
Wait, you're now attacking instant resurrection in tandem with this stupid argument?

You're aware it's not instant correct? You're aware that squad spawning has a respawn of 45 seconds right? The majority of the time it'll be quicker to spawn on the galaxy than do that.

What it sounds more like, from this and from everything else you say on the forums, is that you're against pretty much everything that brings a game up to date, modernises it, brings it into the next gen.

If you want to play PS1 go and play PS1, everyone else wants to play a new, up to date, modern shooter.

Regenerating health or armor means that less time is spent worrying about health.
Speeding up the game is a good thing, it means less time doing boring shit and more time doing the bits everyone really enjoys, participating in big epic battles, performing gal drops, being part of epic tank columns, and so on. It means less time running off to find someone that can heal you. It means less people all doing those things and instead they're spending their time and popcount as part of the battle as opposed to not doing anything cool or fun at all.

The same mechanics are present, they've just been consolidated into removing what was essentially boring play that removed people from participation. Participation is good and should be maximised as much as possible.

You're acting as if having shields means nobody will die. You're acting as though everyone is going to be a BFR now. You're acting as though shields mean nobody will need a constant supply of health, as though 100s of defenders shooting at an invading force of MAX's won't require maintanence, that the heavy assaults won't require a constant source of healing.

What you're doing is making small, unfocused or incorrect statements.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com