PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The shape of Indar
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-13, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: The shape of Indar

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The issue I have with the shape of Indar was that the faction at the north side of it has a lot of territory around its main warp gate, and a lot of open terrain with which they can use.

The lower two factions looked much more cramped. The TR side looked particularly bad as it appeared to be lots of rough terrain and canyons. That doesn't leave a lot of room for them to take alternate routes or spread out and attack different directions. The southwest looked similar with very little land right around the warpgate.

If an empire did get pushed back to the area around its warpgates I think the empires in the lower left and lower right would have a harder time pushing out due to the terrain and lack of territory to expand into. The Northern faction will have the easiest time - lots of territories, lots of terrain to spread out and take.

I'm not all that impressed with the continental layout of Indar from a tactical perspective. Looks like the factions will have clear advantages depending on which position they are in.

Yet another reason why I believe the warpgate bases need to be randomized and moved around once a month or so. That way each empire gets each position so it doesn't really matter if there's some continent imbalances and they can continue making asymmetrical continents. As long as the continent is asymmetrical, certain positions will be better than others.

Mixing up the empire starting locations every now and then fixes the issue. And gives all empires variety. It's a fantastic idea that I'd love to see them commit to doing.
The problem with asymmetry is that you're going to have to build a continent where 1 faction is in the middle. That means they're going to be perpetually attacked by both other factions, on two fronts.

Now, the idea of rotating monthly does improve this, it doesn't solve it, a lot of people aren't going to enjoy being double teamed for an entire month.

Personally I think doing away with the sanctuaries and having space platforms is the only way this would properly work, it would also make the ground war much more interesting in that teams would regularly change the land they own all over the continent, rather than just owning the same land near their sanctuary the majority of the time.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com