PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Re: Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Ever wonder why Linux never took the world by storm? Because it isn't made for normal people. In the consumer space it is a computer nerd's toy - that's it. Most of the world is normal people which have little knowledge of how computers work or how to manage software packages with ubuntu. You are not a normal person. Computing products are not made for you. Linux is not made for normal people. Its interface is terrible not because it isn't efficient; it is terrible because normal people can't use it, it has terrible support, and it offers nothing to them that the things they are familiar with don't already have.

My wife could not use Linux, nor could my mother, grandfather, brother, or anyone else in my family. But they can all use Windows and/or Macs.

And it will never be viable for gaming. You can keep on wishing though. You'd be better off wishing or searching for UI makeovers for Windows. It won't happen on Mac, because Jobs knows what's best and if you disagree you're doing it wrong.
This may have been true some years ago but today's Linux is quite fine on desktop even for "normal people". It's just a matter of them getting used to it.

The reason your mom or bro has problems with it is because they have always used Windows and Linux is different from what they are used to - Not necessarily an indication of it being bad. Assuming they had always used Linux (let's pretend it was user friendly back in the day) they would not have problems with it

For the record, my mom was completely lost in OS X (which again is often thought as a user-friendly OS) although she can use Windows XP and Windows 7 just fine. I'm sure she could have handled it after getting used to it first though.

Also, I don't think Steve Jobs is disagreeing with anyone much lately

(Of course there are those Linux distros which are for nerds and not exactly the prime example of user friendliness, but not all of them are like that)

Last edited by zomg; 2012-06-18 at 03:15 PM.