PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Attack on Auraxis: Planetside 2 eSports show today 11/17 at 2pm PST
View Single Post
Old 2013-11-19, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Re: Attack on Auraxis: Planetside 2 eSports show today 11/17 at 2pm PST

Originally Posted by kidriot View Post
To be honest, I primarily invited these guys because I respect their intelligence, both in casual conversations, based on the content they've produced and the insight they could bring to a discussion like this. I will normally attempt to run a program where 1 rep from each faction is represented, but I knew these guys know their shit and wanted to bring an engaging discussion for the first episode rather than something arbitrarily "balanced" to even out the equation.

I do appreciate the perspective playing in different factions brings, but I was aiming for guaranteed know-how.

I truly believe, outside of a few instances, that the game is balanced as it stands.
Really? I don't think it's even close to balanced.

I'll admit that in open gameplay, I think population and the degree of organization are greater factors than raw weapon/vehicle imbalances...

I don't think SOE has done a great job of imparting a vision of balance. We've heard them mention asymmetric balance and we all remember the 3 circle diagrams - but... fill in the blanks.

Is it supposed to just be an overall factional balance that is achieved? Let's say 10 "things" from one faction appear to be weaker than the other 2 factions, is that supposed to be made up for by a certain other thing, or things being significantly stronger?

Where is this specific plan? It shouldn't be a secret. I suspect we haven't seen it because there really isn't one... and outside of a few hotfixes for the most absurd issues - this has been a fly by the seat of your pants operation, with the main goal simply having been "get as much stuff in the store as fast as possible before populations drop."

There should be a Czar of Game Balance. This person should communicate to the players often and in detail. Let us know what he sees... what the plan is... with data... and we can respond/react.

I've never been a huge fan of the forced effort with MLG - but the one thing I DID think it would bring would be a sharp attention to detail.