PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The "Clegged Up" Thread
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-27, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Re: The "Clegged Up" Thread

Originally Posted by Absentis View Post
I'd like to know how this one was done to get the net over the galaxy.
A solid background made it easy for me to chop the whale and net out and fill the background back again. Then I did a selection by color. Because the net in the original picture is the same color as the background and the whale is white, I needed to get the net off and change the color to white. After I'd selected the net by color, I then cut the net out, made it a new layer, disposing of the whale. Then I used Colorize to remove the color from the net and make it white like the threads. I then put the net layer over the top of the Gal layer I'd pasted in and did a transform on the net until it fit. I also did a little bit of manual work with the clone tool to make it look right around the edges.

However, the whale and the Gal were not same shape and size, and the threads were held a little differently by the birds, so I had to manually recreate the ropes.

I did this by creating paths from the net to the birds, stroking the paths with a thin white line with a Gaussian blur applied. This recreated the threads. I had to move the birds around too to make it look right. It actually ended up being quite a bit of work for me, though in retrospect I could probably do it a lot faster now that I've learned from it.

For reference:

One of these days I'll go back and edit the second thread from the left to come in front of the right engine on the Gal, it's bothering me.

Like I said, I'm really an amateur to all of this. I just spend hours playing around with crap and reading GIMP tutorials until I learn.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-06-27 at 12:22 PM.