PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Sniper rifle trail
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-06, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
Hey, I'm just trying to come up with any other possible compromises outside their basic effectiveness. I mean, I can still play sniper with the tracer giving me away, but I find the whole idea of a tracer coming all the way back to me a bit odd. However, I'm beginning to think that no compromises can be made since both sides are offering points and counterpoints but nothing else. Granted, this is a really difficult issue to maneuver around, so this will probably stick to full tracers. I just hope that sniping isn't going to be as easy as other modern games. At ANY distance.
What I meant by adding it to the "Fog of War" was that if enemy soldiers were near the sniper, they would see where it came from, but of they were far down range, they would only see a trail for the last part of the bullet travel that is near them, whether the shot was directed to them or another nearby soldier.

To be clear, I don't like my position given away by tracers... That said, this would be a good compromise to me.

Remove the tracer and change it to a sonic trail, smoke trail, energy trail or whatever, but only visible by enemy soldiers if they are in range.

Barney 1, 2, and 3 would see different parts of the trail because of their position.

3 is target and knows where in general direction.
2 knows path, but not exact location of shooter or target.
1 knows where sniper is exactly, but not target. He can come try and get me.