PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - My mythical Planetside Upgrade Project
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-31, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: My mythical Planetside Upgrade Project

for step 1 you could easily put in an option to run the game in high or low quality.

and the reason these MMO's are so popular is because they're fucking huge. PlanetSide had so many options, and that was the reason it was such an amazing game. If PlanetSide Next is going to have a downside, it had better be the fact that its a huge file. I have a good computer, so i'm on the side of make it as big and amazing as possible, although I know there would be tons of people who just couldn't play the game because it's too huge.

I'm also someone who knows nothing about networking and servers and everything, but what if you had every world on a different server. The people with slower computers would only connect to the server that they're currently on, and whenever they changed worlds, it might take longer because they have to switch servers, but their computers would have MUCH less strain. People with computers that could handle all of the packets, would connect to all of the servers while they play, the only gain being much less time switching from world to world.

Also, problems with inter-world communication would arise. One solution that i can think of off the top of my head would be, when someone types something in 'empire wide chat', their message goes to the world server, then to all of the servers, then is displayed as 'global' chat. Again, I have no clue if thats already how it works, but just stating a solution to working with slower computers, and the complications that would come with the solution.

People with networking/server stuff experience, would this work? I'm just wondering.