PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Free-To-Play
Thread: Free-To-Play
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-15, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Bonius
Sergeant

Re: Free-To-Play

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
It's good to note that the GMs effect in the end are fairly small too.

Usually if someone is blatant enough to be verified as cheater by looking, PB can catch them all the same. GMs are gonna make a really tough decision if someone is subtle enough with the cheats.

If PS2 is done right, all we have are aimbots and wallhacks. If the person cheating isn't stupid, they tweak their cheats (at least the most famous commercial cheats are very tweakable) to a point where nobody can for 100% certainity say whether they are cheating or just really good. Even an invisible GM can probably observe these cheaters and notice that he seems to know where people come from pretty often, but is that down to luck or perhaps a really good set of headphones that makes you able to hear foodsteps etc really well? Also, the same smart cheater will occasionally let people "catch them offguard" simply so people feel that "well at least now he had no clue I was coming".

That said, most cheaters arn't like I explained above, but the thing is as I said, the most blatant cases are caught by PB pretty much all the same, while GMs can't be any more sure of the highly tweaked cheaters. In the end, we have a bunch of really expensive but non effective game masters.
That's the thing though. If the hackers "only" boost themselves to a level where they compete on equal levels of the top players, not much harm will be caused since there will be people on an equal skill level able to take him down.

Blatant cheaters will be caught and banned on a day-to-day basis, "real" cheaters will be tougher to catch, but won't cause as much hassle as the scriptkiddies with the aimbot turned up 10000%.

My point being: I'm not too worried about cheats and hacks. PS2 will be server-side, so the worst we'll see will be toned down aimbots (aka useless cheats).