PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Which PS locations should inspire the NEXT game?
View Single Post
Old 2010-06-27, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Which PS locations should inspire the NEXT game?

when 13 players jump in a galaxy, the game doesn't actually have to keep track of the positions of the troops. They aren't able to move around in the galaxy, just shoot/drive/watch. The players in the galaxy also couldn't interact with the outside world (save for exiting the galaxy). Pretty much, the game only had to keep track of the galaxy (for example: Galaxy at point (364.9,247.2,104.6) and that the galaxy had 13 players in it.

In order for one of these fortresses, the game would have to keep track of all the players moving around inside a moving vehicle.

Lets say there's a fortress moving at a constant speed of 5 mph due north.
There's a player inside the fortress moving at a constant speed of 5 mph due south.
The player is moving at 5 mph relative to the fortress, but 0 mph relative to the ground.
Now lets say the player turns 180 degrees, and runs the same speed due north. The player is still moving 5 mph relative to the fortress, but is now moving 10 mph relative to the ground.

Okay, I just explained all that, but I think I'm wrong.

If you had the character's position modified at all times by whatever the fortress is doing, you could save a lot of processing time.

>.>