PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Thoughts on the homogenezation of vehicles
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-23, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Thoughts on the homogenezation of vehicles

I like it. It opens up a lot of options for players with each vehicle making it so that players aren't necessarily limited by their vehicle.

Also your post is mostly based around a general misconception that more choices automatically means less vehicles. There are hundreds of ways to implement AV, AI, and AA weapons. Just looking at AV alone you have rocket, lock-on missile, guided missile, MIRV rocket and with that you have AOE damage area, the type of damage (EMP, fragment, radius). Then on top of that you have rate of fire and accuracy modifiers and things like projectile velocity and drop. (Depending on if it's a rocket or a shell). Velocity could even increase over time. Needless to say AI and AA also have hundreds if not thousands of variables that can control their gameplay making them distinct. (As another example of AV remember the lancer's charge time? Another property to promote a unique weapon).

When you try to make broad statements like only one vehicle can perform AV or each vehicle can only do one of either AV, AI, or AV at a time you box yourself in design-wise. Start thinking about the hundreds of variables that control the weapon systems and how the vehicles maneuver and other things when considering if they are unique.

One of the big reasons I like this is that it allows players to customize vehicles and really make them their own. There's no vehicle that you choose to use that is inherently horrible at 2 things in the game. They might not be as great as other vehicles, but they're not completely bad. That and it opens up a lot of room to use resources.