PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-21, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Than, and only than, will I be on board with any idea remotely close to BFR's.
What idea close to BFRs? Do you mean the few posts where people asked for multi-person BFRs?

This thread is strictly about a single person mech and how it could be implemented fairly. Again you're probably thinking of BFRs too much to have an open-mind about the issue. (I don't blame you. It seems that's the general consensus on this board about a lot of topics).

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
If you think of a role not already occupied by an existing vehicle that a mech would be really good at, please let me know.
Maneuverable land vehicle for the new terrains. Higby said there was terrain where tanks would rock at with open territory and other places where only planes could venture. I'm picturing a place like a forest environment where infantry is running around. Maneuvering a tank might be a PITA whereas a mech could walk around trees. (This could also be used for complicated terrain that bumpy).

I'm also imagining it as a hit and run vehicle similar in skill level to the Reaver. Nice medium range vehicle. It could strafe behind rocks and trees for cover. Doing that in a tank (a realistic tank like we'll have in the new game) is much harder.

I'm of the rather solid opinion mechs have no role on their own because they are basically tanks with legs. So you have either tanks or mechs, and tanks are a lot better because
1) they have lower & smaller profiles (thus taking less damage while still peforming their job)
2) more stable shooting platforms (smooth ride vs bobbing from walking)
3) better serve the "armor" role by shielding infantry from small arms (mech legs dont do that very well)
4) faster & more maneuverable
This idea isn't to make a walking tank... not sure where you got that. It's not designed to replace a tank at all. Ideally a tank would fairly easily kill one of these.
1) The height I said would be only twice as tall as a person making them less of an easy target.
2) The head bobbing is an implementation problem. It could easily be fixed to be a smooth ride. (Think mechwarrior or BF 2142 I guess which has smooth mech movement.
3) Not what these mechs are designed for. Their suppressive fire to be used in finding and attacking enemies in hard to maneuver places.
4) Depends on the terrain. Remember the physics are being changed for tanks so they have momentum. Imagine driving a tank into a forest. It might not be as easy as it once was. It would however be a mech's advantage to move and hide behind rocks and trees and fire a barrage of missiles once in a while.

And the only thing mechs have is height for better firing angles, but that comes at the cost of being much easier to hit and thus taking a lot more damage. Steep price.
That's why I suggested making them only twice as tall as a player. That's significantly smaller than a BFR in the game.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-21 at 03:06 PM.