PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Hit indicators
Thread: Hit indicators
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Re: Hit indicators

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
I don't want all the fancy wind things and stuff but this is the bet example for sniping and i relay just don't see how we need hit indicators, if you hit them they will fall over if you don't then you will see sand or a spark from hitting a solid object. As well as seeing shots from assault rifles as well should be seen in the dirt so why do we need hit indicators?
You're really not reading my responses are you? Where YOU see your shots going aren't necessarily where the server is registering them... When you are chasing someone in an aircraft for example - you are both moving at speed. I might be pinging 70ms to the server and you're pinging 50ms. All of those variables (the speed of each of our vehicles, the speed of the projectiles I'm firing, and the distance of each of us to the server) mean that your 'watch and look' method is seriously flawed. Being able to see when you score a hit is a far more standard method of figuring out how much you need to compensate for the variables above.

Since we want PS2 to appeal to as many people as possible (essential in an MMO and something ARMA failed at) making use of industry standard, unobtrusive game mechanics like hit indicators. If you don't want to use them, simply ignore them (or turn them off if there is an option). I know I and most of the rest of the community will use them and enjoy knowing accurately where our shots are landing!