PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Help a Brit build his PC!
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-12, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Help a Brit build his PC!

I'm not too familiar with what sites are available in the UK, but here's my build based on your budget (and overclockers.co.uk pricing, including VAT):

CPU - i5 3570K - £180
Motherboard - MSI 77A-G43 - £78
GPU - MSI NVidia GTX 670 - £312
RAM - 8GB Patriot (DDR3 1600) - £40
Storage - Corsair Force 3 SSD + Seagate 1TB HDD - £95+£75
PSU - 750 W Corsair Enthusiast Series - £90
DVD Drive - LG DVD-RW - £19
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Xtreme - £30
Case - Corsair Carbide Series - £60
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - £80

Total: £1059 incl. VAT but before shipping.

As always, the case is rather aesthetic and you should feel free to swap it out for one that you like best. However, given your intent to overclock, I recommend to look for cases that allow plenty of airflow, and possibly have the PSU mounted at the bottom.

You could re-use your old monitor, but there's still room in this build to buy a 1080p flat panel. If you don't want to lose your data, you can also just plug in the hard drive from your old PC into this one, but you really can't re-use too much more from the old PC, so maybe you would want to keep that in there.

This list is also based on what is in stock right now. There were quite a few good parts that were listed out of stock, but that I'd normally recommend (the case and CPU cooler being a perfect example of that), nor did I include any prices that are on "This week-only" specials, but you should feel free to do so when you order. So your actual total at the time of ordering may be a little less.

What to do with the extra budget? Could go for a bigger SSD, more fans, noise-dampened case, or an even beefier PSU. I'd see what everyone else can suggest here.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-06-12 at 10:46 AM.