Thread: Zam PS2 writeup
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-08, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Zam PS2 writeup

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Then ignore them. I can do it easily. [...] Stop whining and take matters into your own hands.
I know how the ignore feature works, but thanks for being a condescending prick for the sake of being a condescending prick. The ignore feature works as long as there's not a cap on the amount of people you can ignore - however, when you get a game with commodities and you get ten spammers in the span of two minutes all day long, you tend to spend more time using the ignore feature than you do anywhere else. Especially if they're in public channels as well as sending you private tells. These are people who've been doing this for years - it's a science to them, with specialized tools and macros. Half the time they don't even have a guy sitting at the computer - it's a series of accounts which get logged in via macro, which allows them to do what they do.

Unless you're an antagonistic jackass who likes to troll, let me provide you with a solution, which is the difference between critique and whining. I worked Customer Support on three different MMOs and had to deal with these knob-slobbers. We had one person per game whose sole job was to run around and find goldspammers and ban them. He stayed busy ALL DAY. The best solution is to not have an economy and not to have free accounts. Full stop. No economy = no farmers and no spammers. Free accounts allows for spammer accounts to get in and do their thing. Failing that, a robust system to verify accounts is a second line of defense. Meaning, email verification with an activation link - a lot of the accounts for goldspammers used a bullshit email because we never verified, they could literally type in "[email protected]" and they'd be in-game within a minute. I've seen one company that takes it even further, using a Flash log-in with a randomized keypad that requires you to move your mouse and click buttons. This serves the purpose of defeating log-in macros.

I'll reserve further judgment until I see what type of economy it is, but my statements stand.