PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Three long overlooked problems with this game.
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-26, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Re: Three long overlooked problems with this game.

I don't have a problem with drop pods. It can be countered by destroying the beacon, stopping an attack just as fast as it started. Drop pods are pretty obvious too, it's quite possible to get the jump on an enemy who has just landed. It is also a big give away that there may be a beacon in the area to go destroy.

The only issue I have here is that beacons can indeed be placed in areas that are difficult to reach. Perhaps tuning this down a bit (flat surfaces only; beyond a certain angle it won't deploy; create no deploy areas for antennas, rocky spires and the like) and increasing the range at which it is visible (or not, considering what I have just mentioned) could help.

There is also the possibility of the SOI system like in PS1 to prevent excessive dropping on top of a facility, but the whole concept of drop pods is to bypass enemy lines. However, the idea of the SOI being controlled by a generator or similar objective could be an interesting alternative to the arbitrary no-deploy zone, if such a feature were implemented.

I'm not against drop pods in PS2, although it can be a bit cheap at times. A possible fine tuning could help, but I think they fit in pretty well. I certainly don't find them game-breaking.

I'm not sure I agree with your view on reinforcements, though I don't often play small squad ops. Don't forget the system works both ways and also tries to provide a good fight for everyone. Too bad if your small ops fail as a result of overwhelming numbers. The point is to face enemy opposition, surely? Its been retuned several times; maybe it needs some more work to reach the best balance so as to not over-reinforce one side in a matter of seconds.

As for Redeploy, I would tend to disagree from experience. It doesn't allow you to skip the enemy frontline like drop pods. Whether being able to redeploy a few hundred metres instantly is good for the game in any other aspect, I'm not sure. Its pretty good for hasty defence I suppose, but I get annoyed that sometimes I can't redeply somewhere I want to, even if it appears to be within range.