PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Artillery!
Thread: Gameplay: Artillery!
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-26, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
AidanofVT
Private

Re: Artillery!

Everyone needs to remember that technically tanks are just mobile howitzers. However, I agree that the game should have some non-line-of-sight weapons.

I think that these should come in the form of artillery guns or tactical missile launchers on certain facilities. These should only be usable when the controlling faction has the right resources, which should be fairly difficult to acquire. This would make not only the facilities a point of contest, but also the resources to use them. A faction might fight to keep the facility, but if they lost it they would sure fight like hell to keep the enemy from using it. This also might make the land around the facility somewhat less desirable to enemies, since anything they do might be shelled.

Maybe it might be best if these weapons are only found inside a faction's home base. This would make the territory around it more difficult to capture, as well as making it easier to break out if they 'lose' the battle and are isolated to their base. This would give the gameplay around these home bases a little more flavor, and instill a sense that the area around your base really is your land, safe from enemy incursion. To the enemy might be seen as a challenge, a final boss fight that isn't found in the home bases.

I think that artillery would be yet another thing to benefit from destructible environments, which I have advocated from the beginning.

I think that maybe there should be a difference between artillery and Tactical missiles: artillery should be indiscriminate, while more powerful tactical missiles should be spotted by ground units.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have an aircraft weapon that drops a spotting beacon for indirect fire to rain down on?

Last edited by AidanofVT; 2012-07-26 at 12:23 PM.