PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why Planetside 2 has been steadily losing players
View Single Post
Old 2013-08-31, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mordelicius
Major

Re: Why Planetside 2 has been steadily losing players

Originally Posted by Root Hade View Post
Seems like an awkward solution honestly, though this reminded me of the cert system SOE was touting before release. Now I'm not even sure if I'm remembering it correctly, it sounds too radical.

A set income of certs online or offline, regardless of your in-game performance.
At least, you understood the gist of the post right? The developers want to lower player xp/cert gain (which is understandable).

But rather than tinker with the actual xp/cert game mechanic, they tinker with the gameplay in a roundabout/indirect fashion.

XP/Cert Gain is a function of gameplay. Hence if they change the gameplay they can change the cert gain.

Example:

Biolab cert gain is a function of Biolab Gameplay.

Changed Biolab SCU/Gen/Cap mechanics/gameplay lowers Biolab Cert gain.

I also have examples above on how to achieve in lowering xp/cert gain.

My point is, leave the gameplay alone and change the cert gain itself.

That is why I was opposed to Dynamic XP in the first place back then, it doesn't change the status quo in base mechanics. And pretty much unrealistic and unsustainable. Again this was my first reaction to Dynamic XP after someone pointed it to my attention:

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
I doubt SOE would acquiesce to that because again, they simply don't want base turtling that will evolve to cert farming. What SOE is trying to avoid is easy Cert farming for players.

That will just speed up the demise of the Crown because it would be even more prime area for defense farming. They destroyed the Techplants for that very same reason. I wouldn't be suprised if they add loads of jumppads toward the crown.
All what their adventures do in changing the gameplay to lower cert gain is in consequence diminish the battleflow and massive encounters. Leaving less players fighting, and logging on (which is a negative feedback loop: Less fights>Less players logging> less fights).

I much rather have a long fight with the same xp gain than have half walking/driving/looking for a fight and half finding half-baked fights that wipe easily with the same xp gain.