PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Video Game Designers...
View Single Post
Old 2003-09-15, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Squick
Major

Where did you hear it pays well Happy lil' Elf? The most recient surveys I have seen show that the average game programmer makes $32,000 a year. The average application programmer makes closer to $60,000 a year.

If you are thinking producer or one of the executive positions is more what interests you, actually designing the game, then you need to spend a long time in college my friend... I would say you should go for a MBA for starters, then head off to get a second 4 or 6 year degree in art of some sort. Remmember, how many PC games come out every year and make it big? 10 at most I would say... So that is 10 game designers that made some 'real' money...

Game designing, game programming, game testing, all of those are "fantasy-fun" jobs... You may think it is fun to be a game tester, till you find out you are making minimum wage to press the space key while facing every single surface of a game. Oh, and they removed all the monsters, lighting, and textures so it runs faster for you, anyways those things would just get in the way... Sounds like *fun* to me!

Squick