PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-05, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
They do, however, need to worry about dive bombing tactics. Without a flight ceiling, air can simply bypass AA on the periphery of the battle and head straight for the target.

I see you're worried about hit-and-run aircraft coming in and then booking up to high alittude to avoid reprisal, or using high altitude as cover and dive-bombing.

Dive-bombing effectiveness depends on how the aircraft handles and what ranges the AA is effective, the damage it does, and the durability of the aircraft. If it only takes a few shots to down an aircraft or aircraft can't effectively change altitudes that quickly then the concern is meaningless. Its also something that can easily be corrected by changing the damage degradation formulas of the AA and the flight characteristics of the aircraft. Unless they'r edesigned to be dive-bombers I dont' see the issue. Vultures might be the only intentional dive bomber in the game, but they're not exactly nimble vehicles so they would be vulnerable on the dive and vulnerable after it.

Its just a numbers balancing game, not a design issue.