PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Infiltrator Recon Device XP Coming Soon
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-27, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: Infiltrator Recon Device XP Coming Soon

1) Radar devalues player skill by providing a mechanical player crutch replacing the need for situational awareness and actual player observation.
It also increases the value of player strategy by giving them more choices. Incentives will just make the metagame value of XP reflect the value of the strategy better. Keep in mind that everything in this game is done by players. Someone had to bring that sensor and someone has a chance to destroy it.

Now, on it decreasing the value of situational awareness, I guess so. But the players also have to be aware of the option of taking out the radar and removing the enemy's advantage. I'll take nil on that one: no increase no decrease, just different situations.

2) Radar favors zerg play, removing many of the advantages of stealth, ambush, flanking etc that a smaller number of players might use to overcome a larger group. It devalues tactical gameplay.
I'll admit it does remove many factors of stealth and ambush, but only at so far of a range. And also, knowing where your opponent is all the time doesn't suddenly devalue tactical gameplay. It just makes the player's choices more obvious and thus gives more chances to react. In some cases, it might even promote tactical decisions because players will have more information to think about.

3) Radar largely nullifies the the core concept of the Infiltrator class, and there's no counter aside from 12 seconds of cloaking. It also impacts the Light Assault class devaluing it's ability to flank the enemy.
I think you're taking the extent too far, but it does counter infiltrators a bit. On Light Assaults, too.

I remember in beta that there was a suit modification that would allow you to never show up on the minimap unless physically spotted. We really should have that if we are going to have radar.

9) Radar makes for a dumbed down game.
It adds a complexity that can remove other complexities. Adding strategies to a game doesn't simplify it. Now, should radar-equipped units be themselves more visible on radar? Yes; we can argue over the mechanics but having a radar system in-game is good because it can add another layer of depth to the meta of attacking or defending a base. It was always a part of the set-up of defense in PS1 to place motion sensors basically everywhere you could shove them.