PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Anyone else worried about the Max?
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-05, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Haro
Master Sergeant

Re: Anyone else worried about the Max?

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
MAX's seemed fine to me, the only time they ever dropped was when they were being engaged by multiple enemies and and another MAX. In all the battles they appeared very tough, I mean in the kill-cam a Fission missle did 25% damage to one, that's a hell of a lot of hitpoints.

If anything they seemed rather overpowered, as the game went along the number of MAX units went up and up. They can turn just as fast as normal infantry which I think should be changed, they run as fast as a sprinting normal troops and can drop out of sprint in about half a second.

Indoors they were tearing through normal troops, infact I don't really see any normal infantry having a use indoors if MAX's are as powerful as shown. They didn't really seem to have a countermeasure other than getting Lib'd outside or getting taken on by 4-5 normal infantry/other MAX's.

But it is alpha and all, I think they just have too much maneuverability, too much damage and too much health. They should either be tough and low damage or moderate damage and moderate HP. At the moment they seem to have the best weapons, the best health and don't really pay for it all that much in maneuverability.
This is a good point, but I think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. This was a largely uncoordinated demo, with players often playing for kills rather than captures, which is totally fine in this case. I saw lots of players try to capture points in Max armor, only to fruitlessly stare at consoles. Also, I think the E3 setting for maxes in any vehicle also really broke balance, with it becoming the standard for most players. Maxes were really rather OP in this demo, but I don't think that will carry over even if that demo had been expanded to several bases and the proper max laws were observed a bit more carefully.

I saw the TR use their maxes very well, often in pairs securing points while lighter classes captured them. I think that's why they dominated so much later on in the podcast. I think there's value to maxes being powerful, but like with larger tanks, they can't take the abuse like they used to. I think they will need to be a force used with caution, because they can be lost easily if used carelessly.