PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Driver/Gunners... NO!
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Re: Driver/Gunners... NO!

I feel the same... but a week's worth of driving around yelling WE NEED A GUNNER in PS1 has made me much more sympathetic to the driver-as-gunner concept.

Three refinements I'd like to see:

1) Allow the driver to hand off either or both gunner positions to someone else. If all I want to do is drive, navigate, and keep an eye on the battle, I should have that option. (At least allow the Prowler this option. That's consistent with the TR as the professional military guys). That would promote tight-knit teamwork while still allowing the casual half-an-hour-before-I-go-to-bed gamer to have fun blowing things up.

2) Bring back vehicle certs. Allowing everybody to drive everything out of the box, even with a long cooldown timer, just makes me wrinkle my nose. This is a first person SHOOTER -- not a first person drive-in-circles-and-blast-things-er. Make people commit to something instead of handing it to them.

3) For the love of God, bring back the timer bar for entering, exiting, and changing positions in a vehicle. You cannot seriously allow people to insta-bail and start hosing down your position with gunfire. That robs me of my kill and lets my enemy use his vehicle as a launch platform with mondo ablative armor -- a way to close and kill me while remaining ten times tougher.

Also, if we aren't going to get entry/exit animations, I'll settle for a fade-out like we had on the vehicle pad in PS1, with maybe a slight particle effect thrown in. That's immersive enough to suit me.