PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Should aircraft be able to see infantry on radar?
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Alduron
Sergeant

Re: Should aircraft be able to see infantry on radar?

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Actually, you have a point. Minimap sighting doesn't make an instant kill...a more important question is, IF there is 3D spotting in the game for infantry, should aircraft be able to see 3D spots of infantry, because that WILL make for more instant kills? Considering that there shouldn't be 3D spotting at all, that goes double for aircraft.

NOTE: In the event infantry 3D spotting is squad only(a reasonable compromise), then in that event, there should still be no ability for aircraft to see 3D spots. Squads should be able to place static 3D air support request markers, and that's all.
I'm on the fence about spotting from the air. I don't mind vehicles that don't have weapons spotting (or using some kind of drone to spot) but a weapons platform should not be able to use spotting in order to track a target it chooses.

I'm largely in favor for a close air support request system. Maybe a flashing marker of some sort (IR) that can be thrown/launched from grenade tube. You'd toss/launch it around the target and the friendly aircraft in the area would see the marker and focus attacks around that area. It would be dependent on skill, aircraft can't mark, and you can still call in air support outside your squad (which is helpful if there is a squad/outfit specializing in air support).