PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Fixing Spawn Camping & Sundy Wipes
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-23, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mordelicius
Major

Fixing Spawn Camping & Sundy Wipes

I made this list last month after making this thread: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=56506 because I noticed the length of battles have been getting shorter due to either Sunderer wipes or Spawn camping/defense denial.

I didn't want to post it early because the Devs are focused on optimisation. Now that they seemed to be back on tuning gameplay, this it's time to make a new post.

Reducing Spawn Camping
:

Fix the Spawn Shield bug - Done for the most part except for some splash damage through walls on towers. See, I made this list for a while now that the first point is obsolete.

Five-second invulnerability after exiting shield (much needed mechanic)

- Players exiting spawnroom cannot be harmed for 5 seconds
- Players cannot use weapons, throw grenades, drop mines, Max abilities etc during that time.
- Players who exit on stealth can be damaged.
- Players who stealth before exiting will have the invulnerability cancelled.
- Players who use their special ability after exiting (shield, jumpjet, stealth etc.) will have their immunity cancelled.
- Players cannot use repair or heal gun nor can maxes be repaired upon the duration of invulnerability

This is essential for eliminating spawn camping. The problem with spawn camping is the stacked damage on the chokepoint exit. This kind of mechanic will allow players to move out, take cover or hit back from a very bad position (something that is not possible at this moment).

Reduce infantry ability to climb high slopes

When they increased the vehicle traction many months ago, infantry traction on terrain was also affected. As a result, infantry can traverse really steep terrain (something afforded normally to LAs). And as a result, this allows players to climp rocks next to spawn rooms. Reduce it back to what it once was. This will reduce spawn camping

Add large hitbox to secondary weapons

The secondary weapons mounted on Tanks and Harassers need their own hitbox. These players use low bumps, small rocks and even crates to hide their vehicle hitbox AND still deliver damage. All they have to do is expose the gun and they can fire at will at the spawn room.

AV Turret on top of a high cliff - This is similar to the above except they expose nothing but the tip of their gun and they can't be hit.

Add extra barriers on Tower exit points - Tanks have to do is point to the exit and spam HE and infantry will be trapped. With Liberators and ESF, there's no way to even contest the other points.

Harassers inside buidings (need painfield)

Harassers are being placed in areas where only infantry have access to (examples are/but not limited to Amp Station capture point floor and Tech Plants capture point floor). There should be an insurmountable painfield when Harassers are being put there starting at the stairs. These high dps monsters mow down infantry like nothing. I've been in fights where the defenders are outnumbered 3 to 1 and they can hold for so long so their reinforcements can arrive.

Amp Station SCU shield need to be blue not red

Again, Harassers (marauder/vulcan), Tanks and even OP Maxes are being used to suppress any movement coming for the SCU room. That's an infantry corridor. With the changes to the Amp Station capture mechanics, it's difficult to sally forth when even the alternative route is being locked down unfairly. Players from both the defenders and attackers shoudn't be able to shoot through the shield.

OR, if that's OP for the defenders, move down the shield close the SCU but turn it blue so players aren't slaughtered within the room

Spawn Beacon/hotdrops away from the Spawn room

Players shouldn't be able to drop on top of the Tower for example. Right now players drop near highly elevated places next to the spawnroom so they can spawn camp from there. Another bad spot is the Tech Plant roof. Players drop there nonstop AND there no elevator whatsoever to get to the top for the defenders. Add elevator to the roof of the Tech Plant. If not, add a painfield so attackers can't just camp there with a spawn beacon.

Mines sliding downhill
- Mines shouldn't slide downhill ( from their most optimally placed position ).

Reducing Sundy Wipes:

There's very little solution to this because it's mostly contigent on the Sunderer state (which atm is underpowered and very vulnerable)
Deployed Sunderes get bonus HP/Armor and less DPS

I know this will be used and abused as a Battle Sunderer if the DPS isn't reduced. Hence, whatever survivability bonus should have a commensurate reduction in attack capability when deployed.

Remove the No Deploy Zone - It was not necessary in the first place. It was a mistake and a false equivalency to compare Attacker/Defender spawns. Attackers have to protect their Sunderer and the Capture point(s) whereas defenders only have to worry about the capture point. There are so many downside to this heavy-handed-approach-to-remedying-poor-base-designs. The NDZ will not fix the less-than-ideal base designs. Rather it limits the gameplay.

The primary pressure for Sundy driver is not finding proximity spawn to capture points, but a safe spot to deploy. That alone doomed this concept.

Allow Engineers to repair from inside - Limited only to DEPLOYED Sundies. When a Sundy is deployed, 2 seats (4&5) inside should be allowed to repair. Give it a separate certline or a sidegrade to existing cert tree. Certing will open 1 seat. Certing will open 2nd seat.

It is very difficult to repair Sunderers from outside. If the engineers die from splash damage spam, the sunderer will be sure to follow.

Innate Radar to track Mine/C4 carrying enemies nearby - If not innate/free, allow us to cert a special radar that tracks only nearby enemies equipped/carrying Mines/C4 for all friendly players in that area.

It's far too easy to C4 and Mine Sunderers, not to mention the drop pods perfectly landing on the roof. This will be a good way to identify nearby threats about to suicide kill Sunderers. If possible make it a sidegrade to a weapon slot! Instead of of 2 weapons, I'm pretty sure, many players would rather have 1 special radar + 1 weapon combo.

That's it for now. Add any other suggestions to lower Sundy wipes and Spawn camping that's making fights really short. Thanks.