PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-20, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #258
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Right. The issue here is extremely simple - should the devs put lots of hours into 3D cockpits that some players will want to use, and indeed doing it in order make them want to use it, while at the same time giving players the option to remove it and have an unobstructed view, and advantage. How can you argue that people should be able to choose? If they can choose that, then I want to be able to choose to turn suppression effects off, bloody screen while damaged, vehicle animations, all of it. I'm not saying these things are being considered for PS2, but if they were, if you can turn your cockpit view off, then you should be able to turn all those things off. Wait, no, you shouldn't because that would give you an advantage.
I think I know what Sky is getting at, and I'll use the above post as an example.

Look at the bolded parts. Stardouser (and I don't mean to pick on you, I'm just using your post as an example) has voted to keep cockpits forced on because allowing the HUD option would be "an advantage." So I think he saw the different view choices like this:

Option 1: Cockpit 1st person view
Option 2: 3rd person view
Option 3: 1st person view that's exactly the same as Option 1, but with the cockpit removed.

Which is basically what Pig's poll looks like. There's little chance anyone with balance in mind would allow Option 3 since it is 100% unequivocally superior in visibility to Option 1. In this version there are no trade-offs for removing the cockpit.

However, Sky thinks it should look like this:

Option 1: Cockpit 1st person view with mouselook ability
Option 2: 3rd person view
Option 3: 1st person view with the cockpit removed, but with a smaller FOV than Option 1 and no mouselook ability

In this version, there are obvious downsides for choosing Option 3. As such, it is no longer a clear advantage over Option 1. In fact in many instances Option 1 (EDIT: oops, typo corrected) would have an advantage.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone will see the poll like the first list of options. But judging from the posts in this thread I'd say a lot of people did. Hence the potential bias in the poll.

That about right Sky?

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-20 at 07:20 AM.