Thread: Trayvon Martin
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-03, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #212
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Trayvon Martin

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Sure why not?

Isn't that what the majority of people are doing to Zimmerman?

He's a white guy with a gun, he MUST have profiled and stereotyped Trayvon Martin right?
Well... As you can tell from the 911 tapes... He did profile and stereotype him as a criminal. (I personally presume based on wearing a hood). Hell, he saw a kid walk down the street, got suspicious and called 911.

Why? Why did he do that if the kid was just walking home while on the phone with his girlfriend?

He didn't talk to him yet, he hadn't stalked him yet then... What else could it have been aside from stereotype criminal appearance? You'd think behaviour would be one thing. But, rather than consider the idea that if you'd be stalked you'd start moving faster, the guy must have been fleeing. That too is a prejudice: a selective conclusion to fit the frame of mind.

From my perspective, Zimmerman was simply looking for observations that matched the conclusion he had already drawn: he had spotted a criminal, or as he put it "a real suspicious guy".

Racial hatred may have very little to do with it, from where I stand it could easily have been the "black gangsta" stereotype, of which ethnicity is not the main, but a sub-characteristic. As such, my concern is with Zimmerman triggering/provoking aggression by coming over in a threatening manner and then claiming self-defense. Would I consider it to be a planned murder? No. A racial murder? No. Self-induced manslaughter? Yes, possibly, as it seems to have been a bit of a self-fullfilling prophecy in terms of turns of events.

Anyway, I don't subscribe to the view of people (which you are calling racist) that say it'd be the main characteristic that triggered the train of thought. That's more like hijacking the topic for use in a political agenda. I'm more of the opinion that stress and adrenaline, combined with frustration and some paranoia lead to the incident. I don't think Zimmerman intended to kill him during the chase, perhaps not even as he shot: he probably just wanted some sort of justice being done for once and would probably have prefered the guy being arrested and not expected him to become aggressive out of fear, or whatever other reason.

However, what is clear is that Martin clearly had taken note of Zimmerman and that gave him enough reason to start running.

That's my theory anyway. I can't prove it, but it is in line with this transcript:
http://www.examiner.com/unsolved-cas...ll-transcribed

What exactly happened after that, what exactly made Zimmerman suspicious, that's up for debate.

He was chasing this poor little child down like a scared rabbit...his hate mongering, KKK loving conservative eyes glowing red with hatred for the black man.

Right?
I don't believe anyone in this thread claimed anything close to that.

Zimmerman was a democrat by the way...and a hispanic ***. He wasn't white.
Sure, but rather irrelevant, prejudism exist within everyone after all.