PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - What is the most important part of Planetside?
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-03, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Re: What is the most important part of Planetside?

My fave parts of PS, the gameplay aspects. I'll play 64 man PS over 1000 man battlefield anyday. Epic scale is nice, but if the gameplay is just the standard bf/cod stuff then i could care less about the game.

The vehicles were my fave part, and were a huge step over any other game. The awesome teamwork and the feel that its an actual vehicle, not just a buff like BF style veh's are, really added a entirely different feel. Much more of an epic and community/social based playstyle. Some great stories come from my zillion hours driving. Its sad to see that great idea PS1 pioneered scrapped and them taking a step back with the BF style stuff, hopefully thats changed.

The much more tactical TTK times were second on my list, aka you dont instantly die, you can take a few hits then react and have an interesting fight. Its much more tactical feeling than just runnin along, instantly dieing never seeing what hit you, and respawning, adnauseum. (yes the netcode and often exaggerated CoF made it too long in ps1, but it still needs to be much longer than BF.) This may work out ok tho, atleast im tellin myself that =D. Having played BF3 beta and its god awful MW ttk (lost interest in the game completely now), im very glad ps2 wasnt ruined by goin that route too.

The epic size fights were cool, but just as important was the terrain. Huge open areas with so much variety. No more boring coridor maps, no more repeating the same tired little bitty map in a deathmatch. Lots of new and interesting stuff all the time.

And finally the customization, i dont mean gettin too crazy with it like PS2 does which can actually limit variety in that you can customize one vehicle to do a bazillion roles so that you dont need but a very few of them. But i mean seeing all the differnt vehicles and various specs, yes it got outta hand with too many certs, anything past br20 just was too many certs. It was a good system that needed some tweaks and more options to focus down trees to keep people more specialized. The new system isnt too bad in that regard other than the aforementioned issue and the fact that with no cap on certs you can eventually get everything, so just a simple class change at spawn/terminal means you can do anything at all. Kinda half specialization and half br 40. The attactments and version choices and even weapon choices tho could help with customizing too. In other words, I cant really say yay or nay on this til i see it in action and get all the details.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-10-03 at 12:14 AM.