PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - hacking
Thread: hacking
View Single Post
Old 2003-01-02, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

Angry you guys never listen to warborn

"What roles can a player assume?
Anything they can imagine, pretty much. Sniper, Driver, Pilot, Hacker, Medic, Heavy armor, Skirmisher, Scout, Commander, Tactician, Engineer...and more."

If hacking indeed only involves holding a button down CS style, then it seems to me it doesn't belong on this list. Why? Because JoeBlow can become known the world over for his sniping skills, his driving skills, his piloting skills, etc. etc., but I have yet to see one example of how you can build a reputation for being a good hacker.
Well, if you're right, what about medics, engineers, and scouts? By your reasoning they shouldn't be on there either; unless you want the medic trying to revive you to have to go through a complex process to sew a wound back up. Or maybe the engineers could perform that little wire game to fix the tank you're trying to destroy the front line with, and what the hell would a scout do to make it more difficult and make sense?

The reason that these roles are difficult to do is because the people that perform them already have to be able to multiclass and be effective at many things. Medics have to keep a low profile, move quickly and help their teammates with cover fire when they are not dying to be good, and enginners have to do the same. Scouts have to actually get to a good vantage point, and stay hidden to relay positions, and hackers have to get into the base either by force or by stealth. None of these core roles are difficult at all. However, they do require skill to perform because of the secondary skills needed to get the job done.

Contrary to what you believe, people WILL be known for hacking bases, because if they are good they will do it repeatedly and people WILL notice. Medics and engineers are the same, if they are always bring you back to life then you are going to always want them around and you WILL tell other people the same. And scouts WILL become famous only if they can find the best spots, keep them, and give the commanders minutes notice of problems to come. Fame WILL found in any role, even if it doesn't seem like it to you. Maybe thats because you can't see anyone being able to have the skills and master them, but it WILL happen.

Before I started writing this post, I was pretty much between sides, but now I have really thought about it and honestly don't see a need for anything extra. Yes the ideas could be added, and yes they could be very effective, if you get a good reward; however, I believe that it will simply drive away more newbies that just need positive reinforcement (which doesn't seem to be passed around much here) to become better one day.

Well *pant, pant* I'm done.

Flame on..........