PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Player created content
Thread: Gameplay: Player created content
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-02, 04:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

Player created content

The reason for this topic is that a lot of other games allow and support modding. The UI in particular is often modded in other games and in some cases the game itself supports these mods by distributing them to the players. This allows for a lot of added content to be created or tweaking to the player's personal preference.

In some games, quests can be created by the players to create new content, FarCry has a map creator to create new multiplayer levels, so has Command & Conquer for years. Now, I'm not saying we could be creating maps, but I am saying we could create content for maps (buildings, deployable structures, etc) and also thinking of cosmetics like skins and perhaps even unit and weapon designs.

Paradox Interactive took it a step further as a modification of their Europa Universalis III game became a stand alone spin-off game published by PI (Magna Mundi). This cuts development cost drastically.

What kind of content could players that can code and mod create for PlanetSide and what would be an appropriate distribution channel and ratification route if this were ever possible?