PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - I finally got Arcanum!
View Single Post
Old 2003-08-23, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Actually, the wonderful thing about arcanum is the Tech/Magic meter. In the good ole RPGs you could either only be pretty much Pure melee, Ranged with a bow, Magic, or some kind of hybrid of those. But In arcanum, you can still be just melee, but on the other end, the intelligent end, there is magic, and technology. With technology, you can learn schematics to build tools, weapons, explosives, traps, potions, exilers, and all sorts of other goodies. There are also some schematics which you can find, and use to make more powerful items, or sometimes ammunition (Bullets, Fuel, Batteries, etc...). With magic, you cast spells, heal, and all other manner of things. But tech and magic don't mix ver well at all. If you are too powerful of a wizard, you wont be let onto the train at all, if not having to sit in the special, "magic protected caboose", otherwise the results could be catostrophic. If you are far at either end of the scale, in a shop of the opposite end, the shopkeeper wont even talk to you. For example, a magic shopkeeper would only throw insults at my Techie character instead of being able to trade with him.

It's hard to explain, but the game is nothing like Diablo, or Diablo 2. Which in that makes a big difference, as Diablo was easy to explain: Hack n Slash.