PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Do you consider the Jackhammer overpowered? (Balance whiners keep out)
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-24, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
The majority of targets to shoot at are infantry

HA is the best and most effective way to kill other infantry that can be carried

Comparing vehicle weapons and vehicles in general to infantry is apples and oranges and that was the comment which I was responding to. In your subsequent post, you have created a different argument.

You must have me totally confused with someone else. I have heavy assault on 3 of my characters and dont have trouble killing anyone. However I do recognize the Quake-like feel that HA has brought to the game and prefered the damage output from infantry before the HA buffs
I don�t think your apples and oranges analogy applies here because:

1. Vehicles are a viable item/tool that you can have access to provided you spend your cert points on one. HA is a viable item/tool that you have access to if you spend your cert points on one. Yes, it�s the most powerful infantry carried weapon. For 6 cert points it better be good for something! I think your comparison is more �what weapons infantry and carry� and mine is more along the �bigger picture� view comparing �what things you can cert in� to attain killing power in the game.

2. A quake-like feel to PS? Come on man I don�t see this at all. In Quake 1 I became very proficient with the rocket launcher, strafe-jumping, and timing power-up respawn times. After mastering all 3 of these �skill� sets I was able to obliterate whole CTF teams single-handedly. PS has nothing that can come close to this. In PS with HA you have to hit the target several times at close range to get a kill. In Quake I could shoot the floor in a room from a mile away once with a quad rocket and turn the 3-5 guys there to goo. I�d agree PS had a quake-like feel if vehicles were removed, and a weapon equivalent to the Vanguard�s main gun was available to infantry (complete with a pack of 300 rockets � the Quake 1 ammo limit)� now THAT would be a Quake-like feel�

In PS there are many ways to die besides getting killed by HA. Of those HA is the hardest to score a kill with. So generally speaking, HA does not dominate the game. It dominates anti-infantry CQB only. I don�t have a problem with that, not for it�s cert cost, and not for the ability for players to specialize at what they want to be good at. Want be king infantry? Then get HA and practice. Want to be super ace? Then cert in air cavalry and practice.

My point here is� heavy infantry should not complain about getting killed by tanks and aircraft and caught in the open. Likewise, tank drivers and pilots should not complain when they get killed by heavy infantry when caught in CQB. You can�t be Super Joe everything, the cert system was built to prevent that.