PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "What are you listening to right now?" Thread
View Single Post
Old 2017-12-29, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #3922
Mordelicius
Major

Re: "What are you listening to right now?" Thread

Just got reminded/rekindled of an old passion with long bike rides. Used to be a demon from 10-15. I'd go everywhere. My brother had a tricked out custom cruiser low rider with the classic, alloy shimano 6 speed that was ridiculous easy and stupid to ride to the point of numbness. Can't feel the pedal, it's like steering a cloud.

Built my BMX style from scratch as well, single sprocket but lighter. My favorite was going anywhere without touching the handlebar. Doable in flat surfaces, even on steep declines, but only impossible on steep uphill.

But I had to give it up, chasing a remarkable, unique, beautiful and intelligent girl into an elite school on scholarship. It was double the average college load at 13 years old, 10-12 classes and sleep 4 hours a day. Wake up at 5, groom to 6, commute to 7, class from 7-5/6. Cook/eat/clean from 7-8 and homework + reading up to 1 am. Even on weekends there's no break, due to many many major solo/group projects due every 1 1/2 months.

I also had to give up my deep love for chess championships (city champ!), basketball, and dancing, and pursuing to learn basic guitar. I knew all the simple dance moves from Roger Rabbit, Running Man, scissors, shuffles etc. and many exotic moves I've long since forgotten the name of. DJ culture was exploding in our neighborhood and city. And I know so many friends who are excellent dancers. Since I love music, i'd sneak out at night on my bike to peep at street block parties. I'd copy moves and make my own.

The only thing I couldn't do was breakdancing. When I was 6, I was trying to headstand and spin but my mother won't allow it, because "it's causing brain damage"...

She was able to skip over a grade in elementary due to her intelligence. I was upset since out of all the bevy of lovely girls chasing me in school, she's the one I'm only interested in and wanted. She skipped a year and is slipping away. She came back one day advertising the elite school's entrance exam. In a city of at least 1-1.5 million plus, 200 slots is not a lot.

I decided I can't stick with my chess schtick and everything else so I studied the whole year and joined focus study groups after school just to get in.

When I finally got in, I found out "Oh, her? She just moved to Canada".

I still kept my love for music, discovered an appreciation for cooking, gained deep analytical thought process under pressure and had my first glimpse of the Knowledge Abyss (zuzuzu...)