PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-31, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.

Originally Posted by Owalpo View Post
I think a simple fix to this(Even though we really don't even know how these work and are basing it off Alpha stuff) is if an Empire(TR) surrounds a foothold of another Empire(NC)that had just lost all its territory on the continent, and the Empire(TR) attacking defends the continent for 15 minutes allowing no territory be captured by NC then NC will be locked out of the continent for half an hour to an hour.
What is the point of that? Locking people out of a continent improves gameplay how exactly?

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
1) Stalemates mainly and hopefully mixing up the map a bit. As much as I loved Planetside the game gets boring taking over the same bases again and again. What I propose will hopefully take the edge off the repetitive nature of the game by allowing some randomness to enter the equation. Don't get me wrong the whole hex and resource system adds a lot to the game and will extend the life of the game. But it will eventually become repetitive again with static footholds.
I agree that it does get boring and mixing things up is good. That's why I proposed rotating the footholds roughly once per month so we get some freshness in who is attacking and defending what territory.

Stalemates are another matter. If there is a stalemate the presence of a foothold won't change that, because the foothold is just the very tip of the iceberg and isn't much different from a permanent broadcast warpgate. The fact that each empire owns a significant chunk of land and can't afford to reach too far into any other territory without facing a double team is what will render a stalemate - not the presence of footholds.

2) My main goal would be to remove any sort of static foothold. I like some of the other ideas as well like a rotating airship, space stations. Basically anything that opens up the map completely and gives people a option to come in from a different side is good. It's also a good way for SOE to have something else to customize. For instanced they could have it so you customize your FOB using in game resources. Maybe even upgraded with different attachments like air/land vehicle pads, shields, turrets, futuristic sandbags whatever. Build it up your way. Perhaps even have the ability to deploy multiple FOB's together to create some sort of player made base or an outfit base.
Why do you believe removing static footholds will fix the stalemate issue?

I agree on things opening up the map a bit, but essentially all the foothold does is give you an advantage in taking a handful of territories in a corner of the map and give you a base of operations in retaking those territories. In order for the foothold to be relevant, the empire must have lost all other facilities on the map and be reduced to just the foothold. That in itself won't render a stalemate. It will make it difficult or impossible to completely remove an empire from the continent, but I would claim that is a good thing to keep the battle raging.

I think your image showing planetside 2 in the same configuration day 1, vs year 1 is flat out incorrect and misleading. The footholds have no impact on that result, so I believe your grievance is misplaced.

There should be a third base for the TR. So it's 3 large bases to each foothold. That makes more sense.
The TR do have 3 bases. Each empire has 3 in the picture you referenced. The TR have an AMP station in the NW (the one featured in the videos), they have a bio lab east of it, and a tech plant south of it.

You can view all 3 for each empire clearly in this picture: http://i.imgur.com/LPElr.jpg

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-03-31 at 12:20 AM.