PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-18, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Forgive me if you've answered this already, but if turning off the cockpit meant that your view was zoomed in and you had no mouselook ability, would you be okay with that? That way having the cockpit enabled would mean you'd get a wider FOV and mouselook ability to balance the loss of view caused by the cockpit's obstruction.
I realise it's been a whole, what, 5 hours? I'd like to also respond to this though.

The trouble with having these tradeoffs as a toggle is that the optimal playstyle is now to constantly switch between views every time you need to look around/see through your dashboard. Rather than introduce a situation where everyone can pick what they like, you've introduced one where everyone now has to deal with a pointlessly obtuse control scheme in addition to being shoehorned into a view they don't want to use.

The potential solution then is make it a vehicle customisation, chosen on creation. That doesn't work well either though, since each view is best suited for a given role. Consider my situation: I'm a Lib pilot, so I will be doing ground bombardment. HUD is better for that, since it removes the dash. I prefer cockpit view. I'm now back in the situation of deciding between personal enjoyment and a higher performance ceiling.

There may be some merit in the vehicle customisation line of thinking though. Perhaps the long term plan could include a variety of cockpits with outward representation on the vehicle and appropriate tradeoffs. Bubble cockpit might give excellent visibility but cause your aircraft to be especially vulnerable around the cockpit.